Friday, May 11, 2012

Have You Read Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier?

I'd say my ramblings here are my opinion rather than a proper review. So, you've been warned; continue reading if you will. I loved this book. The characters and plot call to mind a well-written, chick-lit, beach-read - although it was written in the 1940's. Were chick-lit and beach-read genres then? Anyway, the story starts somewhat slowly, but before long I was thoroughly engrossed. The book has been criticized as being frivolous and escapist. But, it has much to say on the limited options of women in the late 1600s. Issues that are still, ahem, somewhat relevant today. I think I was as smitten with Dona and her desire for autonomy and self-fullfillment as I was with the swashbuckling (sorry I had to type that), sexy, French pirate. And, William the faithful (albeit one-dimensional) servant: impossible not to love him. Here's the equation for the story, in no particular order: action & adventure + passion + love + a French pirate (oh, did I already mention him?), + humor + suburb writing = a story that has become one of my all-time favorites. So, escape with Frenchman's Creek, and if you do read it, I'd love to hear what you think of it. ~ Christina





2 comments:

  1. I have that one and a dozen other du Mauriers I picked up at a used book sale years ago! I've never read any, although they are all in my queue. I guess I should start with that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great choice. I've also read Rebecca by du Maurier. Liked it as well although it's a darker story. Think I want to read Jamaica Inn next :)

      Delete