Sunday, February 19, 2012

Happiness Is... Beach Sand in the Car in February

Soaked up some vitamin D with my youngest daughter today at Lake Michigan’s beautiful shoreline. She's off to college in the fall, so when she asked if I'd go to the beach with her I jumped at the chance. Couldn't talk her into walking to the beach, but we easily could have. Still, I'll take what I can get of the sunshine, the beach, and a happy teenager. We laughed, walked the beach, and ended up with sand in the car. I am loving this non-winter Michigan winter!


Here’s a picture of my daughter: The Thinker. Mittens and scarf by yours truly. The hat, well...

Despite working a couple 13 hour days this week and being sick, I managed to finish up a couple of projects. I found buttons for my Noro Silk Garden Jenny Watson sweater and finished a pair of mittens for my mom.

Here’s a picture of my new buttons. Click here for pattern details: Ravelry.

Speaking of mittens, the mitten factory is closed! I’ve just finished my 6th pair of these cabled mittens for family and friends. This is a great pattern, however... 12 mittens later... you get the idea...


Here’s a picture of 3 pair of the mittens. For pattern details click here: Free Pattern.


The pattern calls for a chunky yarn that’s been discontinued and size 9 needles. I did some research on Ravelry and many knitters commented they ended up with massive mittens, so... I used Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed and size 7 or 8 needles, depending on the giftee. I have a small to medium size hand (size 6 ring on the ring finger) and size 7 needles makes a pair that fit me perfectly. Three skeins of yarn will get you 2 pair of mittens at roughly $15 a pair. 



Here's a picture of the yarn I used in purple. The color of the knitted mittens above is most true. See my Ravelry project page for specific colorways.

I’ll leave you with a couple of pictures of beautiful Lake Michigan at Grand Haven’s City Beach. Not sure I could ever live farther than walking distance from this Great Lake or an ocean.





If there was wonderful weather where you live today, I hope you had the chance to enjoy it :)  Thanks for reading ~ Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment