Sunday, February 26, 2012

Always On My Mind

Sorry Willie Nelson you’re not on my mind - family is. This week my mom, a couple of aunts, and my grandmas in particular. I finished up my mom’s mittens by soaking them in my favorite softening formula: Eucalan and Aveda’s Smooth Infusion hair conditioner. I just fill one of those little pink tubs you get at hospitals with warm water, a teaspoon of Eucalan, and pump of conditioner. I swish the mixture around while the tub is filling then add my knitting. I soak for 30 minutes or so, then rinse lightly, just enough to remove any clumps of conditioner that didn't dissolve. If only life’s rough edges could be softened with wool wash and salon hair conditioner, sigh. Enough philosophizing, back to blabbing, I mean blogging.

Here’s a picture of my mom’s cabled mittens. Isn't the color great? Click here for pattern and yarn info.

This weekend I was able to deliver both the mittens and the socks I made for one of my aunts. I borrowed a pair of footies from her this past summer and replaced them with a hand knit pair of socks. She says she got the better end of the deal. I enjoyed making them for her.

Here’s a picture of my aunt’s socks. Click here for pattern and yarn info.

My current project is a pair of socks for my only aunt on my dad’s side. I lost my grandma (her mom) this past Fall. I’m using my grandma's sock yarn to make the socks for my aunt. I’m also using this occasion to write my first sock pattern. I'm writing as I knit, so I’ll post the pattern as soon as I test it by knitting the second sock. I’m thinking of calling the pattern: “Grandma’s Slouchy Ribbed Socks.”

Here’s a picture of my first sock so far. Click here to follow my progress on Ravelry.

And, to complete the family circle, I picked up some goodies from my other grandma (my mom’s mom) this weekend. She passed away in 1992. I still miss her and think of her often. Among other things, she taught me to how blow bubbles with bubble gum, shop for dresses, make Christmas cookies, and respect my elders. My grandpa out-lived her by a number of years, and my mom and her sisters are finally cleaning out their home, which is sort of like stepping into a time machine. Having lived through the Great Depression and World War II, my grandparents saved everything! While I was delivering my homemade wares, my mom and aunts let me take a set of vintage sheets and some costume jewelry. The sheets bring back fond memories of staying the night, and they’ve been well-cared for so they’re in great condition. Although, if they’re now vintage and I slept in them, am I....? Never mind, let’s not go there! I’m excited to take apart the jewelry and create something crafty with it. My grandparents were the ultimate recyclers, meaning they reused everything from milk jug caps (cat toys), to Kleenex boxes (Barbie cars), to banana peels (garden), so I know they’d approve of my up-cycling the beads.  
Here’s a picture of my new to me goodies :)

I’d love to hear about your adventures with yarn, up-cycling, crafting, or otherwise. Please share and thanks for reading! Christina

4 comments:

  1. I am loving the socks so far and I am so excited about getting them. Love the name of the pattern too. Grandma would think it was so cool to have a pattern named after her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The socks are looking good. I am sure they will be very cozy to wear. I love the jewels that you got. You should be able to have alot of fun mixing them in with your current jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Mixing will be fun - I'm thinking summer project :)

      Delete