Sunday, March 25, 2012

Stash-Bust I Must

Wow! Another gorgeous week in West Michigan. The temperature was in the 80s a couple of days here in Grand Haven. To celebrate this summer-like weather I have decided to knit a scarf. Yep you just read that. Actually I’m stash-busting, which in the knitting world means using yarn you bought once upon a time either for a project you never made, or because it was sooo soft, or because you were in a new yarn shop and had to buy something, or because the colors were too beautiful to pass up, or because it was on sale and yarn is NEVER on sale, etc. You get the idea. On a side note to the definition of stash-busting, the knitter’s significant other may know about the stash but usually has NO IDEA how much cash is tied up in it. There is no need to disclose this information. Think of how upset he or she might become. There is no need to inflict this sort of anguish on a partner. Best the knitter suck it up and carry the load alone. It’s the right thing to do, really. Sometimes, ignorance really is the kindest way. 


 Here are a couple pictures of my scarf. Click for pattern information: Ravelry
My scarf is knitting up nicely. I started it on Thursday and am probably about halfway finished. The colors in the indoor picture are the most true, but I had to get outside and enjoy this weather, so why not take a picture in the backyard? I am loving the way the colors are coming out, and yes, the yarn is Noro. Silk Garden Sock to be exact. Imagine me having “extra” Noro laying around. All I can say is it’s hard to let go of your first yarn love. I’m using size 5 needles with sock yarn so the texture is coming out lace-ish or meshy. The colors and texture will make for a great Spring scarf, assuming Mother Nature lays off the fast forward button and we have some Spring weather.
Of course, I had to buy a book of patterns with which to stash-bust. Such are the mysterious nuances of knitters and their stashes. My new book is titled: Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders edited by Judith Durant. The book contains 101 patterns using sock yarn. There are patterns for everything from socks to baby sweaters to bags to mittens to shawls to home decor, etc. I’m using the phrase “home decor” loosely here, some of those patterns are a little out there. Anyway, I picked up the book at my local yarn shop and as you can see have several pages marked for future stash-busting projects. I even color-coded them by type of project. 

Here’s a picture of the book should you want to pick up a copy.
Finally, this fine weather is bringing some May flowers before they've had their  April showers. I am joying see crocuses (or is it croci? too lazy to consult a dictionary) in bloom, which I never see due to the abundance of rabbits and deer in my city. I guess the weather is confusing the wildlife too...
Here's a picture of crocuses/croci in bloom.
Back to knitting for me, then off to bed. It's a school night after all. Have a great week and keep in touch :) Christina

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the colors in this scarf. Beautiful! As for buying the book, you can always file that under 'Educational Supplies'~lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aunt Karel. I LOVE this yarn. Good tip about the book... business expense I'm thinking I might need a few more books ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I've just tagged you: http://sewrite.wordpress.com/2012/03/31/11-questions-from-lyndsay/

    ReplyDelete