Monday, June 18, 2012

Projects!



Well I recently finished the most adorable thing I’ve knit so far. I made a blanket buddy for my dear friend’s first baby who will be born on Friday. A blanket buddy is part blanket and part stuffed animal. I’ve never made anything stuffed before. Likewise, I have never assembled stuffed parts or embroidered. The project also gave me the opportunity to play with intarsia (a technique for knitting with colors for you non-knitters). I think it turned out great and stretched my skills as a knitter. Though I did sew the ears on upside down. So, the project also helped me grow in my practice of humility. Knitting does have a way of humbling a person. Click here for pattern info. All this adorableness from a $3 pattern. Can't wait to give it to baby CJ!


Check out that stellar arm attachment and the ear seams!
For my next trick, or project, I began a cabled purse and am almost halfway finished. One tip about cabling - check your work after each cabled round or row, so if you, ahem, cable the wrong way you catch it right away. I only had to rip 3 rounds so far - not too bad. “Rip” - a knitting term involving pulling a project off the needles and unraveling. My family doesn’t like the color. They say it’s “old lady pink,” whatever that is. I didn’t realize colors had ages, so call me an “old lady,” but I love this shade of pink. The yarn is called Remix by Berroco. It’s been great to knit with. This is a free pattern. You can get info here: Ravelry.

The actual color is a little less salmon-y. I was getting fancy with Instagram (see below).
I also recently finished a book titled “Forgotten Country” by Catherine Chung. It  was a journey for me in both history and family relationships. The book is rich in Korean history and culture. I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about both. The book also inspired me to reflect upon the complex nuances of family relationships. Oftentimes, family interactions are shaped by role expectations established early in life, but, people evolve and change. And, then factor in misconceptions and misunderstandings - a sticky web indeed. Right. Back to the book. Although I enjoyed learning about Korean history and culture, I did not feel connected to the main character, Janie. She was flat and lacked personality. Her sister Hannah was also difficult to feel invested in, but I did relate to her more than Janie. Oddly, I felt most invested in their father, a complex and unconventionally conventional man. I liked the book but did not love it. If you are interested in the non-Western world and enjoy reading about family relationships, I'd say give it a go.
Finally, I’m preparing for my youngest daughter’s graduation open house this Saturday. Tables and chairs are ordered. The flower beds are weeded, sort of, and need a fresh layer of bark. We just need to finalize the cupcake flavors, buy the food, pray for a gorgeous rain-free day, and deep clean the house just in case...
Oh and before I go, I’m also now on Instagram thanks to said daughter. You can follow me as christinapurls. Hope all of your projects are going well. Do share details. Thanks for reading. ~ Christina

4 comments:

  1. That blanket buddy is amazing! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic blanket buddy! What part was intarsia? Great seams.
    I find that pink salmonish. I think it's perfect for spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kepanie,

      The stripes on the ears and arms are intarsia because you don't carry the the colors behind. You break the yarn and change colors. Hope that makes sense. I'm better at doing it than explaining it :)

      Delete